What does that say? Somedays you need cake. Wednesday is normally that day. It's mid week, things are normally super busy for me around mid week and this cake is just the thing to make those Wednesday pains go away. This is an adapted recipe from "Je veux du chocolat" that is not only delicious, it's super easy, pretty quick and you'll have cake leftover for DAYS after you make this one! It keeps well in the fridge and is actually better once it's been in the fridge overnight. This is definitely for the days where you don't want to go to the gym.
200 grams dark chocolate 200 grams unsalted butter 250 grams granulated sugar 5 large eggs 1 Tbs unbleached all-purpose flour (Gluten free flour works perfect too)
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees, and butter an 8-inch round cake pan. Line the base of the pan with baking paper, and butter that too.
2. Chop the chocolate and butter and melt it in a glass bowl over a saucepan of hot water, make sure to stir regularly (I used a spatula type spoon which helped to get everything off the inside of the glass bowl).
3. Add the sugar to the chocolate-butter mixture, stirring well, remove from saucepan of hot water and set aside to cool for a few moments.
4. Add the eggs one by one, stirring well after each, and then add the flour. The batter should be smooth, dark, basically like your mid week soul.
5. Pour batter into the buttered cake pan and bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until the center of the cake looks set and the top is shiny and a bit crackly-looking. You’ll know it’s done when it jiggles only slightly, if at all, when you shake the pan a bit.
6. Let the cake cool in its pan on a rack for 10 minutes; then carefully take the cake out of the pan and place on cooling rack, so that the crackly side is facing upward. Allow to cool completely. The cake will deflate slightly as it cools. For this reason alone, I love the springform cake tins that I cake just undo and lift off, if I had to tip a cake out of the pan, I would mess that up for sure!
7. Serve in wedges with a loose dollop of whipped cream (if you wish, you might want to try the cake before you add any more sweets to it!)
There you have it, Wednesday is over, you are now neck deep in Chocolate cake. I'm thinking of making this into little muffin size as a slice of this is almost TOO rich!
Don't worry.... tomorrow will be nicer!